Friday 30 May 2014



Neil Callan  partner Blazing Speed scores in Group 1 in Hong Kong last weekend.

“When I left Britain I was fifth in the jockeys’ championship and had more than 100 winners, and, considering I’d gone freelance, it was a good year.

 

“I originally came to Hong Kong at the end of October with a view to staying until the Derby in March, but things went so well I thought it would be silly not to carry on because I was getting plenty of support , riding good horses, and the winners were starting to flow, so I applied to stay on to the end of the season, which is the first week of July.

 

“I’ve had a lot of near misses in Group 1’s over here and it was nice to finally get one. And to share in the winner’s prize-money of £311,526 after the 25-1, now  with Tony Cruz, sprang a surprise in the Champions and Chater Cup, in which odds on favourite Designs On Rome was only fifth.

 

“It was a big call to stay on in Hong Kong, but after three years I felt I had built up plenty of support to warrant staying until the  end of the season, and with the prize-money being much bigger than Britain, I’m glad I did.

 
Astaire
“I’ve asked Kevin Ryan if I can get back on Astaire and he was pretty sure I would. If he runs at Royal Ascot it’s a possibility I might come back, but that’s up in the air at the moment.  I’m licensed by the Hong Kong Jockey Club and would have to fit in with their programme, and I wouldn’t want to miss out on races. “


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment